Benefits of online prescriptions for your practice
Many practices have found the following benefits of online prescribing:
- No need for the patient to visit the practice to request repeat medication
- Time saving in the processing of the medication requests
- Patient safety, eliminates potential transcribing errors
- Reduction in the quantity of drugs being held in stock, reducing outlay for pharmacies
Setting up online prescriptions in your clinical system
The RCGP has produced a guide to getting started with online appointments and prescriptions. More information about online services can be found in the Patient Online Toolkit.
Guidance on the clinical system is provided by the system suppliers.
Getting patients signed up
To maximise the benefits of online services, practices should encourage patients to register using an app or website that uses the NHS login.
- Patients can find all the information they need to get online with GP services here.
- Lighthouse Medical Centre in Eastbourne documented their way of promoting online services to patients in a short video.
- The Healthy London Partnership produced a video for practices and for patients about online services and particularly on the benefits of online repeat prescriptions.
COVID-19 medical help for patients at home
Practices can provide advice about medical help at home during the COVID-19 pandemic and by sharing NHS.UK guidance ‘Health at home’, via their website or by email and text to patients.